There is plenty of choices available when it comes to picking the right foundation. Be it liquid, matte, mouse or powder, the market was flooded with thousands of options. It really becomes a task if you are a beginner or you are trying to buy a new product.
If you are someone who always ends up picking the wrong shade or is struggling to choose the best match, then you are in the right place. Because in this post I’m going to discuss How to Choose Foundation shade depending on your skin tone and skin type.
Here we need to take two things under consideration – one is an undertone of skin and another one is a type of skin.
First I’m going to discuss how to choose foundation depending on your skin undertones.
Understand your skin’s undertone:
Undertone is something that completely different from skin tone. Yes, your skin tone can be changed but your skin’s undertone won’t. Undertones can be warm, cool and neutral. You need to select a foundation depending on your skin’s undertone. And for that, you need to figure out your skin’s undertone first.
Here are some easy ways to understand what undertone you have:
- See yourself in the mirror in natural light. If you have a rosy or pinkish complexion with a yellow or golden tint, then your undertone is warm.
- If you have blue or purplish tint with a greenish hue, then your undertone is cool.
- If you don’t see any definite tint or hue, then you probably have a neutral undertone.
Another way to decide your skin’s undertone
- Check the veins of the wrist or ankle. If you find them bluish then you have a cool undertone. If your veins look greenish then you are supposed to have a warm undertone.
Now, you find out your undertone, now choose your foundation shade on base of that. You need to keep these points in mind while picking-
- Foundation comes mainly in three shades- fair, medium and dark and each shade comes with an undertone as well. So you need to find the right shade with the right undertone.
- Most of the foundation looks different in the bottle and as opposed to the skin. So make sure you apply the foundation on your skin before buying.
- Applying the foundation on cheeks or the jawline is considered to be the best way to find the perfect shade. It is definitely the easiest way to make sure that the foundation matches the skin of your neck.
- Do not apply foundation on your hand’s skin since it is preferably not a good place to test the shade.
- Try a few colors at once and then decide.
- Always consider how the foundation looks in natural lighting. Most of the cosmetic store has strong lights which can change how the foundation looks on your skin. So, step out with a mirror in the natural light after applying the foundation.
- Try to bring someone with you and ask for her/his opinion.
Now, I’m going to share a few more tips on choosing a foundation depending on your skin type.
- For oily skin– Always try to pick the oil-free foundation for the skin that is prone to break out. Foundations that are thick and have a lot of oil r moisturizer should be avoided for someone with oily skin type. Instead, choose a foundation that is lightweight and matte and has salicylic acid in it.
- For Dry Skin– Choose a foundation that has moisturizer in it. Liquid foundation is the best option in this case.
- For Sensitive skin– Choosing a foundation for sensitive skin can be a little tricky. So always go for those foundations which are hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic and fragrance-free. Make sure to look out for the ingredients if your skin is sensitive towards any particular element.
- For aging skin– if you are looking for a foundation for aging skin or foundation for normal skin then you probably give a miss to those matte and powder foundation. These types of foundations tend to settle down to fine lines and make your face look older. A lightweight medium coverage foundation would be the best option for you.
So, these are all my pro tips on choosing the right foundation shade. You can find all types of foundation on Nykaa with the best makeup offers. So, go ahead and choose the one which matches you the best.
That’s all for today’s post. Hope you find it helpful. Until next time.
This is really info for me ( warm, cool and neutral tone), will check mine..and thanks a lot for sharing great tips for selecting right foundation. I am not much a make up person, learnt a lot from your post.
Great tips. I am not a fan of foundation. but this article would be much like by my cousins. Ging to share with them.
I must say, I am very impressed with how in depth you have gone to explain how foundation shades should be picked. Great guide!
That so amazing tips and trick. Now I will check my vein to understand my skin tone for right foundation
Awesome post, I had no idea that for choosing the right foundation we should know our skin undertone. And thanks for sharing these helpful tips for choosing the correct shade, will be really helpful.
Its really difficult to get the right shade of foundation. I am sure these tips will come handy now
This is a complete guide on choosing right foundation.. Thanks for sharing the tips babe.
Thanks for the detailed post on choosing the foundation, I also do the mistake of applying on hand than on face, shall follow these guidelines for my next purchase.
Very helpful post. I always did the mistake of checking the shade on my hand. Shall keep this is mind while buying next.
this is a very important post, most people get their foundations wrong making them look white. I look for a full coverage foundation.
I am really bad at finding out the right shade…thanks for sharing the tips I will keep them in mind next time I’ll buy one
I cant tell you how helpful this has been. Just yesterday I was trying to order a foundation from nykaa and was not sure which one to go for. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Frankly speaking I am not a big fan of foundation, I love to use BB and CC creams instead but your post will help those who want to apply efficiently and choose the right foundation.