Hope you guys can understand from the blog title that today’s post is all about Menstrual Cup. I am sure, it is not as familiar in our society as sanitary pads or tampons. But still many women are using it and found it really promising.
There are few women like me who actually knew it and are still very skeptical about using it. For them, this post is going to be very helpful as I am going to discuss everything you need to know before using a Menstrual Cup.
First of all…..
What is menstrual cup?
A menstrual cup is one type of reusable feminine hygiene product. It usually made of medical grade silicone. It is a small, soft and funnel-shaped cup that needs to be inserted into the vagina during menstruation. The cup collects period fluid, preventing it from leaking onto clothes.
How to use and take care of a menstrual cup?
Before using a menstrual cup, make sure that cup is sterilized. For sterilization, you need to boil the cup in water for 5-7 mins. Then take it out and wipe off with a clean cloth to dry.
When you use a menstrual cup for the first time, you may feel uncomfortable. So, you need to apply water or water-based lubricant to the rim of the cup before inserting it into your vagina. This process makes it smooth and easier to insert.
You can wear a menstrual cup for 6-12 hours depending on the amount of flow. So you need to take it out every 6-12 hours, empty the collected fluid, rinse it with a mild wash, wiped clean with a sterilized wipe and then reinserted it.
You need to sterilize the cup again and store it in a clean bag for your next period.
Now coming down to the most important part-
How to insert a menstrual cup?
Firstly you need to get a right-sized menstrual cup. For that, you need to consult with your gynecologist. Usually smaller cups are recommended for a younger woman (aged less than 30 years) who haven’t delivered vaginally. Larger cups are recommended for an elder woman (aged over 30 years) and have delivered vaginally.
After getting your right-sized menstrual cup, follow these steps to insert –
- Feel relax and comfortable.
- Wash your hands thoroughly,
- Find a comfortable position (sit, stand or whatever you feel comfortable with)
- Apply water or water-based lube to the rim of the cup.
- Fold the upper portion of the cup in half and holding it in one hand with rim facing up.
- Now insert the cup into your vagina just like you insert a tampon. It should be placed at few inches below your cervix.
- Once the cup is inserted, rotate it. It will pop open and create and airtight seal.
If you insert the cup rightly, you won’t feel your menstrual cup. You should be able to walk, jump, sit and do other activities comfortably without feeling your cup inside.
How to remove your menstrual cup?
Follow these steps to remove menstrual cup-
- Wash your hand thoroughly.
- Find a comfortable position and then feel relaxed.
- Place your index finger and thumb into your vagina. Then gently pull the stem of the cup.
- Once you reach the base, pinch it to release the seal and pull down to take out the cup.
- Then empty the cup, wash and sterilize it to maintain proper hygiene.
How to choose the right menstrual cup?
If you decided you switch to a menstrual cup and ready to buy one, then you should keep these point in mind-
- Size availability.
- Will the cup cost you less?
- Reusable or not. If yes then how many time it can be used?
- Easy to use.
- How flexible the cup is.
Everteen Menstrual Cup
I would recommend Everteen Menstrual cup as it made of medical grade silicone that means it soft and flexible and 100% safe to use. I love everteen menstrual cup for these following attributes-
One menstrual cup is priced at Rs. 455/- and can be reused upto 10years. Hence cost effective.
It gives leakage proof protection for up to 12 hours depending on the amount of flow.
You don’t experience any menstrual odor, discomfort, itching, dryness or any kind of rashes.
Lesser cramps during your period as suction created by the seal of this cup
Fewer needs of changes compared to sanitary pads.
No chances of flooding
You can comfortably do activities like swimming, gymming, yoga, dancing and more.
Easily avail at any e-commerce site like Amazon, Snapdeal etc.
That’s all for today’s post. Hope you find this post helpful. See you soon in my next post.